Before applying for a visa you must make sure that your passport is valid:
- Check the expiration date on your passport: For a short stay visa (less than 90 days), the expiration date must be no earlier than 3 months after the date of your return from the Schengen area; For a regular long stay visa (more than 90 days), the expiration date must be 15 months after the day you plan to leave the your country of origin.
- Make sure your passport has two or more completely blank and unmarked visa pages;
- Make sure your passport has not been altered: Check if the original laminated film (the transparent safety film that covers the passport photo) has been tampered with. If this is the case, you must ask a passport-issuing authority to re-tamper proof your passport; Make sure no pages or surfaces have been laminated (as this will invalidate your passport); Check for scratching or alteration.
- If your passport was issued over 10 years ago, even if it is still valid at the time you submit your visa application, you must apply for a new passport from domestic authorities or the Embassy or Consulate of your country of origin, before being able to apply for a visa.
- Make sure that the passport has been signed by the holder before applying for the visa.
Where can I apply for a visa?
Visa applications for France are now received by TLScontact, except for some categories that are still received by the Consulate General of France in Cairo directly.
- If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate of this country.
- If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country in which you will stay the longest.
- If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination (i.e. the duration of your stay is the same in different countries), you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country that is your first point of entry.
When should I apply for a visa?
You may only submit your visa application within 180 days before your date of departure. We recommend that you apply at least 20 calendar days before the first available appointment at our center because the visa process takes minimum 15 days.
Your passport must be valid for at least 90 days from the date of your return from the Schengen area if you apply for a short visa and at least 15 months from the date of travel to the Schengen area if you apply for a long visa
How do I apply for a visa?
To apply for a visa, you should find more details on our procedure page.
You can contact the Embassy directly through the following email address.
Can someone else apply for a visa on my behalf?
Personal appearance is mandatory for all visa applicants, unless you are exempted from biometric data capturing.
- Children under 12 years of age, finger scans are not required;
- Applicant has previous Schengen visa delivered within 59 months and with the remarks ”VIS” is mentioned.
Notice: If applicant’s latest Schengen visa mentions ‘’VIS 0”, applicant is still required to provide their biometric data, as “VIS 0” visa means only alphanumeric data and a photograph are provided, but no fingerprint.
Personal appearance is mandatory for all long stay visa applicants even if they have a previous Schengen visa delivered within 59 months and with the remarks ”VIS” is mentioned.
Who can submit an application without an appointment?
The below cases can submit their applications without an appointment during the working days from 08:00 till 14:00:
- Holding the diplomatic, service and special passports;
- Spouse of French with full recent copy of a French marriage certificate “acte de marriage”, drawn up by a French town hall, or transcribed in the consular civil status registers, for marriages not celebrated in France or/and family book “livret de famille”;
- Medical visas with confirmation of the medical treatment appointment. The accompanying person can also apply without an appointment if he/she will submit his visa application with the medical case at the same day.
Do I need to enroll my biometric information in the Visa Application Centre?
In general, everyone is required to enroll biometric information (10 fingerprint and digital photo); only applicants who are within the following categories will be exempted:
- Children under the age of 12.
- Applicants who are physically unable to submit their fingerprints for scan (hand/finger/arm amputated). However, if it is possible to scan at least one fingertip, then applicants have to go through the biometric step. In the case of a temporary inability to provide the fingerprints (plaster, bandage, etc.), the applicant still has to come in person and have the most possible fingerprints scanned. As only a part of the fingerprints has been collected, the applicant will have to come in person to allow the fingerprints scan again the next time applying for a visa.
- Applicants who have had a previous Schengen visa delivered within the past 59 months.
Applicants need to provide a photocopy of this visa sticker as a proof. However, the local consular authority may request you to submit the biometric data again.
To know more about the Visa information system (VIS), please visit the following link.
How to book an appointment on TLScontact website?
You can find more detail information on how to take an appointment on TLScontact website here.
Where can I get a visa application form?
Visa application forms can be found on France-Visas website.
All foreign nationals applying at TLScontact Egypt should hold a valid residence permit (validity should extend to 3 months after planned return date).
Nationals of the following countries or holders of a residency in these countries are exempted for the above regulation: Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Sudan, Eritrea, Libya and Yemen.
All applicants who have a residence permit in any other country, must apply from this country.
Could the Embassy request me to provide additional documents or information?
The Embassy may request you to provide additional documents or information, according to your personal situation, even after you have submitted your application at TLScontact centre. Please note that any additional document, which is not required in the basic list according to your type of visa, must also be accompanied with a certified translation into either English or French if it is in any other language.
Can pilots and cabin crew submit visa applications without the original passport?
Starting from 27 December 2021, pilots and cabin crew will not be allowed to submit visa applications without the original passport.
What are the visa photo requirements?
The two photographs required for any visa application must be:
- Color photo on a white background;
- Format 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm;
- Taken from the front - without obstruction;
- Recent (less than 6 months old).
For more information, please visit the link here.
What are the requirements for insurance?
Due to a regulation of the European Union (Decision 2004/17/CE of December 22nd 2003), there is a requirement to hold travel insurance, which is a compulsory document.
The travel insurance should be:
- Valid for Schengen area if you apply for short stay visa;
- Valid for France if it is required in the document list and you apply for long stay visa.
Your travel insurance must be valid with a minimum cover of EUR 30,000 in order to face any expenses that may arise in connection with your repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention or emergency hospital treatment. The travel insurance should fully cover the period of your stay in the Schengen area.
How can I collect my passport?
Please check passport collection opening hours on Address page.
Collection in person
Please provide following:
- Your Original Application Checklist
- Your Original Photographic ID
- Copy of Your Photographic ID
Collection by representative
Please provide following:
- Your Original Application Checklist
- Copy of Your Photographic ID
- Representative’s Original Photographic ID
- Copy of Representative’s Photographic ID
- Letter of authorization signed by you (clearly stating the representative’s details) as following:
- If the representative is a first-degree relative (Spouse-Parent-Brother-Sister), he/she has to submit a written authorization from the applicant with the same signature on the application checklist with a proof of relationship (e.g. Birth certificate, marriage contract... etc.)
- If the representative is NOT a first-degree relative, he/she must submit the stamped "Letter of authorization" form which was delivered to the applicant in the day of the appointment and includes the representative’s details.
- If the representative will submit the documents at the center instead of the applicant, the applicant must download and fill out two forms of “Letter of authorization” and sign them before the appointment to hand them over to the representative, who must submit the originals at the center on the day of the appointment.
- In case the representative has been changed, the applicant must come in person at our center with two new forms of “Letter of authorization” filled and signed incudes the new representative data.
Return by courier
TLScontact offers an Express Courier Return service, allowing you to receive your passport directly at your home or your office. To obtain this service please add it to your cart on the Added Value Services page available when you log into your personal account on our webpage.
If you choose to cancel this service after your application has been submitted, Express Courier Return fee cannot be refunded.
Recipient address and information for this service must be filled in by the applicant or representative during application submission appointment. Once the application has been submitted, no changes can be made to the recipient address and information. We therefore kindly ask you to confirm recipient address and information before the application submission.
Which browsers does TLScontact support?
TLScontact supports the latest versions of these browsers:
- Chrome (Win 10 and Android for Mobile / Tablet);
- Edge (Win 10);
- Firefox (Win 7);
- Safari (OS X and iOS for Mobile / Tablet).
Make sure your browser is up to date and get into the habit of installing software updates whenever they are available.
Why isn’t Internet Explorer supported?
Internet Explorer (IE) 11 was released in 2013, and no feature updates released by Microsoft in years, which puts this browser behind others in terms of its ability to support new technologies. While Microsoft will continue to provide support for users of IE 11 for a few more years, the new default browser is Microsoft Edge.