Since 1st of December 2018, any visa application for France must be made via the France-Visas website. Once you have completed your application form on the France-Visas site, you will be redirected to the TLScontact website to make your appointment 

Start your visa application on the France-Visas website.


Non-biometric passports -  Democratic Republic of Congo


Frequently Asked Questions

Application Process

Passport Retrieval

Visa Information

Information for Minors (children under 18 years old)



Marriage Certificate

Passport / Travel Document

British Residency

Bank Statements & Payslips

General Information

How to book an appointment on TLScontact website?

You can find more detail information on how to take an appointment on TLScontact website here.

Where can I apply for a visa?

To apply for a short or long stay for France, Djibouti or Central African Republic, visa applications are now received by TLScontact in London or Edinburgh, per your choice.

  • If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply at the Consular authority of this country.
  • If you intend to visit several Schengen countries in one continuous trip, you must apply for a visa at the Consular authority of this country of your longest stay (Travel plan)
  • If you intend to visit several Schengen countries and the duration of your stay is the same in those countries, you should apply for a visa at the Consular authority of this country that is your first point of entry.


How do I apply for a visa?

To apply for a visa, you should first Register on this website, and then follow the instructions. For more details about the procedure, please click here.


Can someone else apply for a visa on my behalf?

Personal appearance is mandatory for all visa applicants, unless you are exempted from biometric data capturing.

  • Children under 12 years of age. Finger scans are not required.
  • Applicant with previous Schengen visa delivered within 59 months and either bearing the mention ‘VIS’ or issued post March 2016.

If you hold a biometric Schengen visa issued within 59 months, either bearing the mention ‘VIS’ or issued post March 2016, you can :

  1. appear personally (without new biometric data collection)
  2. be represented by a third party who will need to provide on top of your completed application : 
    - his/her personal ID (original and photocopy)
    - an authorisation letter from applicant

If you don’t hold a Schengen visa delivered within 59 months and either bearing the mention ‘VIS’ or issued post March 2016, you can:

  1. appear personally with new biometric data collection)
  2. be represented by an accredited agency, to register and check your application. You will then need to appear personally at Tlscontact center to proceed. An appointment will be notified to you via the agency.

List of accredited agencies:


When should I apply for a visa?

You may only submit your visa application 90 days before your date of departure.

We recommend that you apply at least 20 working days before the date you wish to depart as certain travel document holders and certain types of travel purpose may take longer than usual to process.

For instance, the processing time of your Tourist Visa Application will take between 3-10 working days from your appointment date.


What kind of visa do I need to apply for?


Where can I get a visa application form?

Visa application forms can be downloaded :


What are the required documents for a visa?

In order for you to know the list of documents for your visa application, please create an account on TLScontact website.
You will then obtain a personalized list of required documents, according to the purpose of your stay in France.
All documents must be provided in English or French, if the original document is in any other language it must be provided with certified translation into English or French.
Please ensure you have all the required documents on your TLScontact appointment.
In order to proceed your visa application quickly in the TLScontact centre , please ensure you have your documents in the order listed on your documentation list.


Could the Visa Section request me to provide additional documents or informations?

Yes, the Consulate may request you to provide additional documents or informations, according to your personal situation, even after you have submitted your application at TLScontact.

Please note that any additional document, which is not required in the basic list according to your type of visa, must also be accompanied with a certified translation into either English or French if it is in any other language.


How can I renew my circulation visa?

A circulation visa may be renewed within three months of its expiry date or up to one year after it has expired, provided that it was the last Schengen visa issued. A child listed on a parent’s passport cannot make an application for a circulation visa renewal, as the circulation visa must be stamped on an individual’s passport under their own name.

To renew a circulation visa, please take an appointment to apply for a visa as normal and your case will be assessed in our center, where you application will then be flagged as a circulation visa renewal application as appropriate.


What will happen on the day of my appointment?

Please ensure that you plan your travel to arrive at the center slighter before your appointment time. Do not arrive too early as you may be asked to wait so that applicants arriving on time may be welcomed according to their appointment time.
At the welcome area, please have :

  • your appointment checklist,
  • passport
  • and application form ready for inspection.
  1. At the Welcome area, TLScontact agent will thoroughly check your documents for compliance with your application checklist. Please be informed that corrections on any type of application form are not accepted. All information on the application form must be correct the day of the appointment. If not, you will be invited to fill a new form.
  2. At the Documentation area, you will then be issued with a submission confirmation document, which you must retain to retrieve your passport when it has been processed.
  3. After confirming the documentation, you will be invited to make payment of fees.
  4. After successful payment, you will be directed to the last step which is the biometric capture.


Can I get my visa on the same day I apply?

No, in the best-case scenario, your passport will be ready for collection within 2 working days following the day of your application submission.
Please kindly note that the duration of the transmission of applications and instruction of applications processed by the General Consulate of France in London can take from 2 working days (general case) up to several weeks (particular cases).
Besides, applications submitted at the Tlscontact center are transferred to the General Consulate of France in London on the next working day following your appointment, so take particular care when scheduling appointments that fall immediately before a weekend or public holiday.


Is there another visa section other than the one in London?

As a UK resident (England, Northern Ireland, the Bailiwicks of Jersey, Guernsey, Gibraltar, the Falkland Islands, Isle of Wight, Scotland and Isle of Man), you have 2 choices, per your convenience where you can lodge your application:

  1. Applying at the TLScontact Visa Application Center in London
  2. Applying at the TLScontact Visa Application Center in Edinburgh

Please see also “Can someone else apply for a visa on my behalf?


My Schengen visa application has been refused. What can I do?

The Consular authority has the sole competency to grant or refuse a visa. TLScontact is not involved at any time in the decision process and is neither informed by the Consulate of the visa application’s result.
In case of refusal decision by the French Consular Authorities of the visa you applied for, you can either choose to:

  • submit a new visa application
  • send an appeal request to the Appeal Commission (CRRV, Commission de Recours contre les décisions de Refus de Visa).

1) Submit a new visa application (especially if your previous application file was incomplete).
You will first need to book a new appointment with TLScontact center (schedule an appointment by register online on our website). Once your new appointment is booked, you will then need to come and submit your new visa application to our center and submit all required documentation relative to this new visa application. Warning: you will need to submit a complete new set of documentation and will have to pay service and visa fees corresponding to this new visa application.

2)Send an appeal to the Appeal Commission (CRRV)
Since the 5th of April 2011, motivation of visa refusal decision for the Schengen area is given on the release form provided by the community Code on Visas regulation. The appeal process is explained on the notification letter given to applicants.
You have 2 months from the reception of the notification of refusal decision to perform this action. After this period, you will not be able to submit an appeal. This appeal request must be send by postal mail to the following address:

Secrétariat général de la CRRV
BP 83.609 - 44036 NANTES CEDEX 01 France

Your appeal letter must be written in French otherwise it will not be taken in consideration by the Appeal Commission (CRRV).
To enable the Appeal Commission to identify correctly your file, you must also clearly indicate the following information:

  • your identity, as written on your passport (full name, date of birth)
  • the name of the Consulate which has refused to issue the visa you applied for
  • the visa fee receipt number issued by the Consulate concerned and the date of issue thereof (to prove that a file visa application has been filed).

The CRRV has two months to give you an answer to your appeal.


Why does it take so long for some nationalities to obtain their Schengen visas?

For certain types of travel document holder, the Consulate General of France in London must consult the other Schengen partners before making a decision on whether to issue a visa. Be advised that this consultation will occur every time you apply for a visa and that the process will take on average 15 calendar days from receipt at the Consulate General of France in London. You will not be able to lodge your visa application less than 15 calendar days from your date of departure if your circumstances require a consultation.
Please note that applications submitted at the TLScontact visa center are transferred to the Consulate on the next working day, so take particular care when scheduling appointments that fall immediately before a weekend or public holiday.


Can I borrow my passport from the consulate and give it back after my urgent use during application processing time?

No. If you request to borrow your passport, this is seen as a withdrawal of your application. You will have to re-apply again if you plan to visit France.
If you wish to withdraw your application, please send us an email explaining why and it will be forwarded to the Consulate. You will be notified once your passport is returned to TLScontact for collection.
Please note that withdrawal of application is NOT subject to any fee refund.


Closing dates of TLScontact Center

Please find the closing dates of London TLScontact Center on Address and Opnening Hours page.


How can I collect my passport?

Passports can be collected from Monday to Friday, 08:30 to 16:30 at TLScontact (excluding TLScontact’s closing dates).
When your passport is ready to be collected, you will be notified :

  • online on your personal account page
  • by email
  • and by SMS. 

You will invited to come to the TLScontact center with :

  • your “Application Checklist”,
  • a stamped copy of the passport ID page
  • a valid British ID.

Please remember that without a valid ID you will not be able to retrieve your passport.
If you chose to have your passport returned to you by service, it will be sent directly to the address you have specified. Please note that no other registered mail service may be used and we cannot accept Royal Mail Special Delivery envelopes as an alternative.


Can TLScontact send me my passport by express mail?

TLScontact offers DX Secure delivery, allowing you to receive your passport directly at your home or your office.
Yes, TLScontact offers registered express mail, allowing you to receive your passport directly to your chosen address (home, office or third party) that you confirmed to us on the day of your appointment.

  • Make sure that your complete address, including property number/name and postcode, and telephone number on the address label is CLEARLY typed.
  • Allow a minimum of 24 hours before tracking your passport from the time TLScontact receives to DX Secure Delivery collect it.
  • DX Secure does not deliver to PO Boxes or British Forces Post Office.
  • A signature is required for the delivery of the passport.
  • Any person at the address location may sign for the delivery of the passport with a proof of ID.
  • If the courier attempts a delivery and no one is present;
    • the courier will leave a calling card where there is a suitable location to leave it.
    • the visa applicant must rebook a delivery within 10 working days after the first delivery attempt and should be at the delivery location. The courier will request a SIGNATURE and an ID to deliver the passport.
  • There are only two delivery attempts. The delivery service is only Monday to Friday (excludes UK Bank and Public Holidays).

To track or rebook your delivery, please visit www.thedx.co.uk or call 0844 3710000. Please provide with your tracking number (barcode) attached to your “Application Checklist”.

If the passport cannot be delivered after 10 working days, it will be sent back to TLScontact London.


Can someone else pick up my passport for me?

Yes, a representative may retrieve your passport on your behalf provided that they bring:

  • Your application checklist
  • A photocopy of your passport
  • Original and photocopy of representative’s passport, driver’s license or other valid photographic ID card
  • An authorization letter signed by you


Do I need a visa?

You don’t need a visa:

  • depending on your nationality
  • if you hold a resident permit in France or in the territory of a Shengen Member State
  • depending on the duration of your trip
  • depending on the part of France where you are travelling to.

Citizens of some countries are exempt from the requirement for a visa to enter the Schengen Area for a short stay or transit:

  • Nationals of UE, EEA and Switzerland ;
  • Nationals of following countries, regardless of the purpose of the trip : Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, FYROM (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia), Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chili, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, El Salvador, United Arab Emirates, Georgia, Grenada, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Malaysia, Mauritius, Micronesia, Monaco, Montenegro*, Nicaragua, New-Zealand, Palaos, Panama, Paraguay, Saint-Christophe and Nevis, Saint-Martin, Holy-See, Saint-Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint-Lucia, Samoa, Serbia*, Seychelles, Taïwan (passport holding the number of the ID), Timor-Leste, Tonga, Trinity and Tobago, Ukraine*, Uruguay, Vanuatu.

* Only for the holders of biometric passports.

  • Nationals of following countries : Australia, Brasil, South Korea, United States of America, Japan, Mexico, Singapore, Venezuela. For the purpose of remunerated activity, a work permit will be provided;
  • Passport holders of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China and the Macao Special Adminstrative Region of the People’s Republic of China ;”
  • Holders of a valid residence permit in France ;
  • Holders of valid residence permit issued by a Shengen Member State ;
  • Holders of a long stay visa type D issued by another Shengen Member State ;
  • « British Nationals Overseas », « British Overseas Territories Citizens », « British Protected Persons », « British Subjects” passport holders ;
  • Holders of a special card issued by the Ministery for Foreign Affairs to members of a diplomatic and consular mission.

As from the Schengen Border Code (article 5§1 a)), third-country nationals who do not require a short-stay visa (when travelling for intended stays of no more than 90 days per period of 180 days in the Schengen area), must hold a valid travel document satisfying the following criteria:

  • its validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Member States or, in the case of several visits, after the last intended date of departure from the territory of the Member States.
  • it shall have been issued within the previous 10 years.

Particular cases :

  • Nationals from United States of America : journalists on mission need a short stay visa ;
  • British Nationals need a long stay visa : holders of a British passport “ilien” for a stay longer than 3 months in France.


What is the difference between a Schengen visa and a national visa?

A Schengen visa (type C) is a visa issued by one of the member countries of the Schengen Area and is valid for a short stay, limited to 90 days within any 180 days period, only for Schengen countries.
European competence to receive and issue such visas is made by the consulate of the country of destination. In case of a trip in multiple Schengen countries, the main destination is determined by the purpose of the trip or duration of the stay. Professional reasons for a stay in a Schengen country outweigh its jurisdiction on the grounds against tourism, family or private visit in another state.

A national long stay visa (type D) is only valid for an establishment or a stay of more than 90 days in the country which issued the visa. The national visa allows, however, transit through other Schengen countries and for some (long stay French citizen’s spouse, workers, students or visitors) it also allows traveling freely throughout the Schengen area.


I have a valid British residency. Do I need another visa to travel to France?

As the United Kingdom is not part of the Schengen Area, you may need a Schengen visa to travel. A British residency permit confers to the holder no right of entry into the Schengen Area.


My British residency permit is expiring soon, can I still apply?

For short stay visa:
You can only apply if you still have a minimum of 3 MONTHS on your British residence permit from the day you return to the United Kingdom.  For a short stay, the passport must be valid for 90 days after the planned date of leaving from the Shengen area.
The Consulate General of France in London cannot exceed this legislation.

For Long stay visa:
Please be informed in order to apply your UK visa must be valid on the date of your scheduled appointment.
Your passport must be valid for 15 months or more.
If you meet these requirements you are eligible to apply for a Long Stay Schengen Visa.


Can I use my Schengen visa, issued by the French Consulate, to travel to Spain?

Yes, under certain conditions : a Schengen visa allows its holder to travel freely within the Schengen Area, so travel to Spain or any other Schengen country directly from France is possible. If you hold a multiple entry Schengen visa, you may also enter and leave the Schengen Area through any member country within the period of your visa’s validity. However, please note that you should always apply at the consulate of your main destination, so ensure you do travel to France with the Schengen visa the Consulate-General of France has issued you.


I am going to Andorra. Should I apply for my visa at the French or Spanish Consulate?

If you are flying to a French airport, then you should apply at the French Consulate.
If you are flying to Andorra, please contact the representation of Andorra in London.


How long will the visa valid for? Can I get a visa that will allow me several trips to the Schengen area?

The validity of the visa will be determined by the Consulate General of France in London by the visa officer when processing your application.


I am participating in a school trip in France organized by a British school. Do I need a visa?

Pupils/ schoolchildren/ high school students in general education, nationals of countries who would normally require a visa and travelling on a school trip organized by a British school, are exempt from an entry visa into France if their names are entered on a “List of Travellers” form issue by the British Council.

This form is not, however, a valid travel document in itself, therefore each pupil must carry a valid individual official document establishing identity and bearing a photograph, such as:

  • a valid passport,
  • a valid travel document
  • or a valid ID card.

Further information about the schools trip exemption may be obtained from the British Council.
Please kindly note that the British Council cannot give general visa advice.
Also please note that pupils living on the Channel Islands are not concerned by the “List of Travellers” and will need a visa.


I’ve submitted my visa application, how long do I have to wait to get an answer?

Average delay for visa applications process:

  • Short stay visa applications for nationalities without consultation: 1 working day.
  • Short stay visa applications for nationalities with consultation: minimum of 15 calendar days upon application receipt of the General Consulate of France. You will not be able to lodge your visa application less than 15 calendar days from your date of departure if your circumstances require a consultation.
  • Long stay visa applications: minimum of 10 working days.

We strongly recommend that you submit your visa application at least 15 days prior to your departure date. The delays of visas processing above mentioned are purely informative and can be longer according to the specificity of cases.


What is the Visa Information System (VIS) ?

As of the 20th November 2015, all over the world, Schengen Member States are linked to the Visa Information System (VIS). The VIS stores the biometric data (10 fingerprints and the facial image) of visa applicants for 5 years. Therefore, personal appearance of all applicants for a Schengen visa is mandatory, except for:

  • children under the aged of 12
  • persons for whom the collection of fingerprints is physically impossible
  • heads of States and members of the Nations Governments with accompanying spouses and the members of their official delegations when they are invited by Member States’ Governments or by International Organizations for an official purpose, sovereigns and other senior members of royal families when they are invited by Members States’ Governments or by International Organizations for an official purpose.

Once your biometric data have been captured and once your Schengen visa has been issued, either bearing the mention ‘VIS’ or issued post March 2016, your personal appearance won’t be needed within a period of 59 months. The copy of this visa sticker will be requested for any new visa application without personal appearance, as following visas will use the stored biometric data.

Applicants will have the choice to either appear personally or to be represented by an authorized third party:

  • accredited agency
  • authorized third party in possession of: his/her personal ID and authorization letter from the applicant

However, please note that if biometric data reveals not compliant, personal appearance will be requested.
*This procedure applies for all residents in the United Kingdom: England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland, The Bailiwick of Jersey and Guernsey, Alderney, Gibraltar, Falkland Islands, Isle of Wight and the Isle of Man.


When a child under18 travels alone or with one of the parents, which documents do I need to bring?

The Consulate-General of France requires the child’s full birth certificate.
If the child travels with one of the parents, you will need to produce :

  • a certified copy of the passport of the parent not travelling with the child;
  • a parental authorisation to travel form, transferring the parental authority to the adult who will be responsible for the child during the travel;
  • in case of sole custody of the child, a copy of the court order establishing custody ;
  • in case of death of one of the parents, a copy of the death certificate ;
  • in case of loss of contact between the parents, a court order or any official document establishing the sole custody.

These documents may also be asked at your border of entry, so please ensure you take them along with you.


My child, under 18, is looking to travel to France with friends. Can they travel by themselves?

No, the child must be accompanied by a responsible adult during their visit to France and during the visa application.


I have adopted a child who has not yet received a British passport. Can I apply for a visa to travel to France on their behalf?

The Consulate-General of France may issue visas to children whose adoptions are in progress in the UK upon receipt of confirmation from a social worker that the adoption is in progress and that nothing prevents the child from leaving the UK for a short period of time.
Issuing such a visa is subject to the respect of the regulatory measures under the child protection.


What are the requirements for medical insurance?

Due to a regulation of the European Union (Decision 2004/17/CE of December 22nd 2003), there is a requirement to hold travel insurance, which is a compulsory document.
The travel insurance must comply with the following requirements :

  • You as a named party on the policy. In the event that the policy document does not name you, official proof from the insurer that you hold such a policy is required in the form of a letter.
  • The area of validity must clearly cover the whole Schengen Area for a short stay; cover France if required in the document list for a long stay; or cover the relevant DROM/ CTOM areas according to your itinerary. No Europe 1 or Area 1, ONLY Europe 2 or Area 2.
  • The period of validity must cover the entire duration of your stay in the Schengen Area and applicants seeking a multiple entry visa must hold adequate insurance for at least their first stay. In signing the Schengen Visa Application Form, you agree to hold adequate insurance for any and all subsequent stays.
  • Coverage of at least EUR 30,000 in order to face any expenses that may arise in connection with your repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention or emergency hospital treatment, with these scenarios expressly stated on the policy document.

The original policy document, certificate of insurance and/ or a letter from your insurance company confirming your cover must be provided, along with copies of all relevant pages that confirm the above information. Please note that insurance quotations are not acceptable proof of insurance. In all instances it is necessary to clearly verify that the policy document provided is the same policy on which you are named.
If your insurance is held through your bank and contingent upon you maintaining your account there, your must provide official proof that you still bank with the organization in the form of a recent letter or bank statement (no more than one month old).
If your insurance is held through your company, you must provide a letter confirming the policy held and a copy of the relevant pages from the policy document.
Note that if your insurance does not strictly meet ALL of the above criteria, the TLScontact agent receiving you will mark this document as “Missing” and will include what you have provided as an additional document.
Missing documents may increase the risk of visa refusal.
If you need a travel insurance to cover your trip to France, it must comply with the requirements above. You will find an appropriate insurance by clicking here.
Attention : Please note that insurance not covering the whole Shengen area (Europe 1 – Area 1) are not compliant.


Can I use the European Health Insurance Card, issued by the NHS, in lieu of the medical travel insurance?

The EHIC is not a substitute for travel insurance since it may not cover all health costs and never covers repatriation costs.
As per current legislation, visa nationals must provide travel insurance that also covers the eventual cost of medical repatriation for medical reasons and emergency mdeical care with a minimum coverage of EUR 30,000. This insurance must be valid for the entire Schengen area and must cover the entire validity of your first stay in the Shengen area.
Please ensure that your insurance certificate clearly states your name as well as the policy cover dates.
Be advised that your insurance must cover the duration of your stay in the Schengen Area.
If your bank account includes travel insurance, please provide full details of the cover.


I am planning to stay with friends or family members at their home, where can I get the Certificate of Board and Lodging?

This certificate, known as an ’attestation d’accueil’, must be obtained by the person you are visiting in France from their local town hall. It is a compulsory requirement for people applying for a visa to visit family or friends if they are staying with this person at their home. The validity of the visa you may be granted will not exceed the dates stated on this certificate. Be advised that you must produce the original certificate as it needs to be officially stamped. Note that as the holder of a Certificate of Board and Lodging, you only need to justify funds of €28.10 per day in France.


I am married to an European Union National but I have misplaced our marriage certificate/ my spouse’s passport/ my spouse’s passport is expired. Can I still apply for a visa as the spouse of an EU National?

To apply as the spouse of an EU national, you must provide :

  1. your marriage certificate/civil partnership 
  2. a proof of your spouse’s nationality in the form of a valid passport or national ID card.
  3. a proof of travel ot the communitarian spouse or a travel plan.

If you are unable to provide either of these documents you will not be able to apply for a visa as the spouse of an EU national but may still apply in a normal capacity according to your travel purpose.


My British residency/ passport expires soon. May I still be granted a visa?

For a short stay visit, your British residency permit and passport must be valid for 90 days after your intended date of departure from the Schengen Area. The Consulate General of France in London cannot disregard this Schengen legislation.


I am the holder of an emergency/ temporary travel document. Is it recognized by the French Authorities/ can I apply for a visa to travel to France?

As it depends upon your nationality, please call us on 0845 730 0118 (press 4 to be called back) or refer to the Contact Us section and send us a message after logging on your TLScontact account to describe your situation and we will contact you for advice.


Can I travel to France using a refugee British travel document with a black, blue or red cover?

The type of UK travel document you hold will determine your eligibility to travel to France and your requirement to hold a visa.
Holders of travel documents issued by British authorities under the Conventions of Geneva 1951 for refugees and New York 1954 for stateless person wishing to travel to France and the Schengen area must have at their passage accross the border, their travel documents with a residence permit allowing them to reside in the UK and not simply a proof of address in order to be exempted from applying for a visa.
Otherwise holders of these UK travel documents without residence permit must apply for a visa. Please note that holders of these travel documents must allow 15 minimum days for the visa application process.
Holders of the black Certificate of Identity, issued to foreign nationals resident in the UK who are unable to obtain a national passport, cannot use this document for travel as it is not recognized by France as a valid travel document.


I hold a service/diplomatic passport, do I still need to apply for a visa to travel?

Morocco : Holders of a service passport issued by Morocco are not required to hold a visa to go to France any more since the 1st of June 2013 for one or more trips not exceeding a total of 90 days every 6 months from the first entry in the schengen area or any part of France non included in that area. This applies for metropolitan France, DROM-CTOM and New Caledonia.

India : Holders of a diplomatic passport issued by India are not required to hold a visa to go to France any more since the 1st of October 2013 for one or more trips not exceeding a total of 90 days every 6 months. This applies for metropolitan France, DROM-CTOM and New Caledonia.

Indonesia : Holders of a service/diplomatic passport issued by the Republic of the United States of Indonesia have been exempted from visa to go to France for entry and stay within the Shengen area for one or more trips not exceeding a total of 90 days every 6 months since the 16th of August 2014.

China : Holders of diplomatic passports issued by the People’s Republic of China have been exempted from visa for entry and stay within the Shengen area (except Iceland and Norway) for one or more trips not exceeding a total of 90 days ever 6 months since the 3rd of March 2016.


Can children sharing parents passport apply?

Children sharing passport with parents issued after 28 June 2009 are no longer accepted.
Each child must provide his/her own passport.


My British residency card states that I am the “Family Member of an EEA national”. Do I require a visa to travel to France?

If your British residency card states “Family Member of an EEA national”, that you are :

  • the spouse,
  • the child under 21,
  • or dependant,
  • or direct dependant parent of an EU national;

and you are either travelling together with this person or going to meet them in France, you do not require a visa to travel.
However, if you fail to meet any of these criteria, you do require a visa to travel.
Please note that the quality of simply “being” a family member of an EEA national does not remove the passport holder’s requirement to obtain a visa for travel.


I am in the UK on a Type C visa. Can I apply for a Schengen visa in London?

The Type C visa issued by the UK is a visitor’s visa and cannot be accepted as a residence permit.
Schengen rules require applicants to lodge their Schengen visa application in a country in which they hold residency.


My British residency permit is not stamped in my passport but it is on a separate piece of paper. Can I still apply for a visa?

Yes, the Consulate General of France in London will accept your application even if your British residency permit is stamped on a separate form issued by the Home Office.


My British Residency permit states “Post Study Work”, are there additional documents I need to provide?

Yes, the latest Graduation Letter or Diploma should be included on the application.


My bank only issues statement once every 3 months and I read that to lodge a visa application, documents must be less than 1 month old. What can I do?

You will need to produce the last official statement the bank sent you, a mini-statement or an Internet print-out of recent transactions, your bank card and your pay slips (if employed). Be advised that the Consulate-General of France does not accept saving accounts/credit cards statements.


My passport is damaged, can I still apply?

If you wish to apply even though your passport is damaged, it may increase the risk of refusal by the Consular authority.
A discharge document will be provided to you on the day of your application submission. TlScontact can’t be held liable once you have signed this document.
Please note that the service fees won’t be refunded in case of refusal by the Consular authority.