New Conditions of Access to the Visa Application Center, please check here

Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

How to book an appointment on TLScontact website?

You can find more detail information on how to take an appointment on TLScontact website here


Do I need a Schengen visa?

Indonesian passport holders

All Indonesian nationals must have a valid visa to enter the Schengen Area, regardless of the duration of their stay and no matter what kind of travel document they have, except if they have a valid residence permit which enables them to stay in the Schengen Area.

Diplomatic and Service passports holders

From the 16th of August 2014 onwards, holders of Indonesian diplomatic passports and of Indonesian service passports are exempted of visa for visits in France (except DROM/CTOM) totaling no more than 30 days for a 180 days period.

Nationals of other countries

Citizens of some countries are exempt from the requirement for a visa to enter the Schengen Area for a short stay or transit:

- France metropolitan area



  • Nationals of the European Economic Area: the EEA includes the 28 Member States of the European Union as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
  • No visa is required for a short stay of less than 3 months as part of a trip for tourist or business purposes (no work allowed) for citizens of some countries (click here for more information)
  • The holders of a blue or red United Nations “laissez-passer” travel document, whatever their nationality, are exempted from short-stay visas.

Nationals of Albania and Bosnia

Albania and Bosnia biometric passports holders are exempted from short stay visas since December 15th, 2010.
Holders of non-biometric Bosnian passports still need a visa.

As from the Schengen Border Code (article 5§1 a)), third-country nationals who do not require a short-stay visa (when travelling for intended stays of no more than 90 days per period of 180 days in the Schengen area), must hold a valid travel document satisfying the following criteria:

- its validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Member States or, in the case of several visits, after the last intended date of departure from the territory of the Member States. 
- it shall have been issued within the previous 10 years. 


Where can I apply for a visa?

Visa applications for France are now received by TLScontact, except for some categories that are still received by the Embassy of France in Indonesia directly (see Jurisdiction). 
Your Schengen visa application must be submitted to the French Consulate of your country of residence.

  • If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate of this country.
  • If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country of your longest stay or the one who is, in relation to others, the main destination due to purpose of your trip (professional reasons, in a Schengen country, outweigh its jurisdiction in relation to tourist motives, family or private visit, in another state).
  • If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination (i.e. the duration of your stay is the same in different countries), you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country that is your first point of entry.


I want to go to one of the African countries represented by France, where should I apply?

The French Embassy in Indonesia can only deliver short-stay visas (for non-working purposes only) to Indonesian applicants for:

  • Burkina Faso
  • Central African Republic
  • Djibouti (visa of 10 days maximum)
  • Gabon (for tourist visa only with a 3 weeks consultation)
  • Mauritania (with consultation)
  • Togo (2-day visa or visa on arrival)


How do I apply for a visa?

To apply for a visa, you should first register on this website, and then follow the instructions. For more details about the procedure, please click here.


When should I apply for a visa?

You may only submit your visa application within 90 days before your date of departure. We recommend that you apply at least 20 working days before the date you intend to travel.


What kind of visa do I need to apply for?


Where can I get a visa application form?

Visa application forms (short stay and long stay) can be downloaded.


What are the required documents for a visa?

In order to prepare all the documents required for your application, you should register to obtain an individualized list of required documents, according to the purpose of your stay in France. All documents must be provided in English or French and if the original document is in any other language it must be provided with certified translations into English or French. 


I have a valid Schengen visa on an expired passport. Is my Schengen visa still valid?

The Schengen visa remains valid if it has not been canceled itself, therefore at the immigration the visa holder will have to present both passports together (former passport with the valid Schengen visa and the new passport).

NB: Visas affixed on a passport with a damaged MRZ page is no longer valid, you will need to procure a new passport and apply for a new visa.


Could the Visa Section request me to provide additional documents or informations?

Yes, the Embassy of France may request you to provide additional documents or informations, according to your personal situation, even after you have submitted your application at TLScontact. Please note that any additional document, which is not required in the basic list according to your type of visa, must also be accompanied with a certified translation into either English or French if it is in any other language.


When a minor under 18 years old travels with only one of his/her parents, which documents are needed? 

A parental authorization to travel form, transferring the parental authority to the adult who will be responsible for the child during the travel and the copy of the ID of the non-accompanying parent.

In case of death of one of the parents, a copy of the death certificate

in case of sole custody of the child, a copy of the court order establishing custody.


What are the requirements for insurance?

Due to a regulation of the European Union (Decision 2004/17/CE of December 22nd 2003), there is a requirement to hold travel insurance, which is a compulsory document.

The travel insurance should be*:

  • Valid throughout the territory of the Member States of the Schengen area if you apply for short stay visa**
  • Valid for France if it is required in the document list and you apply for long stay visa
  • Valid for the French Overseas Territories according to your itinerary

Your travel insurance must be valid with a minimum cover of €30,000 in order to face any expenses that may arise in connection with your repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention or emergency hospital treatment. The travel insurance should fully cover the period of your stay in the Schengen Area (or French overseas territories). (see list of approved insurance companies.)

* A coverage “Worldwide” or “International” will be compliant in any situation (Short stay, Long stay, French overseas territories)

** For short stay the coverage area must encompass the totality of the Schengen area. An insurance mentioning only one destination country (e.g “France”) won’t be regarded as valid by the visa section.

If you wish to purchase a valid Travel insurance for your Visa Application, please visit the websites of our partners by going on this page


Visitor / study under 18 y.o / ascendant of a french citizen or ascendant of a french citizen spouse (dependent & non-dependent). Especially for the visa types mentioned above, the medical insurance required for your visa application is a “First Euro/Dollar” medical insurance for expatriates that covers the planned duration of stay. The insurance has to cover France or a larger zone (Europe, International etc..).


How can I renew my circulation visa?

The “circulation visa renewal” simplified procedure applies only if you have previously obtained a circulation visa on an ordinary passport. A child listed on a parent’s passport cannot make an application for a circulation visa renewal, as the circulation visa must be stamped on an individual’s passport under their own name. A circulation visa may be renewed within three months of its expiry date or up to one year after it has expired and provided that it was the last Schengen visa issued.

Please note that this simplified procedure does not apply if your previous circulation visa was stamped on a diplomatic passport, a service passport or a passport for public affairs.


I lost French residence permit when I was in Indonesia. My French resident permit has expired before/during my trip in Indonesia.  What type of visa should I apply for?

  • If your French residence permit has expired, has been lost or stolen when you were in Indonesia, you need to apply for a re-entry visa. 
  • If your French residence permit expires during your trip in Indonesia but you have already applied for its renewal before leaving France, we advise you to travel in possession of your new residence permit (the Indonesia authorities won’t allow you to travel only with the receipt of your residence permit application)
  • If your French residence permit expires before your arrival in Indonesia and you haven’t applied for its renewal before leaving France, you must apply for a long stay visa corresponding to your situation in France.

The re-entry visa procedure depending on the cases can take up to 2 months. 

Please note that a visa cannot be affixed on a temporary travel document. 


In which case do I need to provide the Lodging attestation?

You have to provide the proof of accomodation if you apply for a short stay visa and a friend or a relative will host you in their apartment or house.

What are the requirements for visa applications of domestic staff?

No visa for France can now be issued to domestic staff without the submission of approval from the French labor office of the host’s place of residence. No other documents or statement of convenience can replace this requirement.


I sent an email to the Consulate regarding my visa application. Why I haven’t received any response?

If the answer to your question is not already displayed on TLScontact website, you will receive a reply as soon as possible.

N.B : a third party is not legally allowed to receive any information regarding your visa application.


How can I collect my passport?

Passports can be collected from Monday to Thursday 8:30-11:30, 13:00-16:00; Friday 8:30-11:30, 13:30-16:00 at TLScontact. When your passport is ready to be collected, you will be notified online on your personal account page and by SMS, informing you to come to the TLScontact center with your visa application checklist and the original and a copy of your identity card.


Can someone else pick up my passport for me?

Yes, a representative may retrieve your passport on your behalf provided that they bring:

  • Your application checklist
  • A copy of your ID card
  • The original and a copy of your representative’s ID card
  • An authorization letter signed by you


Can TLScontact send me my passport by express mail?

TLScontact offers an express registered mail service, allowing you to receive your passport directly at your home or your office. Please inform us if you wish to use this service when you submit your application at the TLScontact center. If you choose to cancel this service after your application has been submitted, the courier fee cannot be refunded. Recipient address and information for the courier service must be filled in by the applicant or representative during application submission appointment. Once the application has been submitted, no changes can be made to the recipient address and information. This service can only be requested the day of the submission of your application.


Can someone else apply for a visa on my behalf?

You are authorized to have your visa application submitted by a third party in case you do not need to be present in person for the biometric data capture. You can see here the exemption cases.


Can I be asked to provide supporting documents at my entry into the Schengen area?

A visa does not mean that the holder is automatically entitled to enter the Schengen area. This right is examined each time he or she passes the outer border of the Schengen area. In addition to a valid passport with a visa (except for exempted nationals), every foreigner, when entering France, should be in a position to produce to the Immigration Officer the documents to justify their motive of stay in France (their means of living, their guaranties of return, their insurance…).


My passport was lost / stolen during my trip in Europe. How do I get a new visa?

If your passport has been lost / stolen during your last trip in Europe, you must report the loss / theft to the authorities of the place it occurred.

You will have to apply again before your next trip. A copy of the loss / theft statement must be added to your application file. 


My Schengen visa application has been refused. What can I do?

The Consular authority has the sole competency to grant or refuse a visa. TLScontact is not involved at any time in the decision process and is neither informed by the Consulate of the visa application’s result.
In case of refusal decision by the French Consular Authorities of the visa you applied for, you can either choose to:

  • submit a new visa application
  • introduce a “Recours gracieux” 
  • send an appeal request to the Appeal Commission (CRRV, Commission de Recours contre les décisions de Refus de Visa).

1) Submit a new visa application (especially if your previous application file was incomplete).
You will first need to book a new appointment with TLScontact center (schedule an appointment by register online on our website). Once your new appointment is booked, you will then need to come and submit your new visa application to our center and submit all required documentation relative to this new visa application. Warning: you will need to submit a complete new set of documentation and will have to pay service and visa fees corresponding to this new visa application.

2) The applicant can introduce a request in « recours gracieux » by mail sent to the Consul of France in Jakarta, enclosing all information useful for the reexamination of the visa application.

Any mail / e-mail sent by a third party will be joined to the file. If the « recours gracieux » request confirms the initial refusal decision, the applicant may send an appeal request to the Appeal Commission (CRRV, Commission de Recours contre les décisions de Refus de Visa).


The silence of the Consulate within a 2 months delay implied a decision of refusal.

3) Send an appeal to the Appeal Commission (CRRV)

You have 2 months from the reception of the notification of refusal decision to perform this action. After this period, you will not be able to submit an appeal. This appeal request must be send by postal mail to the following address:

Secrétariat général de la CRRV
BP 83.609 - 44036 NANTES CEDEX 01 France


What is the difference between a Schengen visa and a national visa?

A Schengen visa (type C) is a visa issued by one of the member countries of the Schengen Area and is valid for a short stay, limited to 90 days within any 180 days period, only for Schengen countries.
European competence to receive and issue such visas is made by the consulate of the country of destination. In case of a trip in multiple Schengen countries, the main destination is determined by the purpose of the trip or duration of the stay. Professional reasons for a stay in a Schengen country outweigh its jurisdiction on the grounds against tourism, family or private visit in another state.

A national long stay visa (type D) is only valid for an establishment or a stay of more than 90 days in the country which issued the visa. The national visa allows, however, transit through other Schengen countries and for some (long stay French citizen’s spouse, workers, students or visitors) it also allows traveling freely throughout the Schengen area.